10 of the best football stories of the day:
1. Following Wigan’s shock win over Manchester City, chairman Dave Whelan insists he would prefer to be promoted to the Premier League rather than retain the FA Cup.
2. Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini blasted his team’s poor start against Wigan on Sunday, calling it “the worst first half we have done in my time here.”
3. Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has given his rivals backing, insisting both Arsenal and Manchester City can still progress in the Champions League and overturn their deficits.
4. Following outspoken criticism of his team, Tim Sherwood claims he his ‘too opinionated’ to be interested in a role as assistant to a new managerial appointment at Tottenham.
5. Despite starring in the quarter-final victory over Everton, Arsenal captain Thomas Vermaelen says he has made no long-term plans at the moment. The centre-back has seen limited playing time at Arsenal this season.
6. Classic goal celebrations have made a comeback. First it was Samuel Eto’o clutching at the corner flag depicting his old age. Then Hull City’s David Meyler head-butts the corner flag, a week on from his infamous incident with Alan Pardew. (Daily Mail)
7. Iain Dowie signs up to Bollywood…for a night. The former Palace manager looked the part, joining Alan Shearer at a local charity gig at Lancashire County Cricket Club. (Daily Mail)
8. Computer analysts are taking over behind the scenes at football clubs, with Manchester City employing eleven people to squeeze the data out of football. (Guardian)
9. With Brazil 2014 fast approaching, history shows that strikers struggle in the final. In the last six tournaments only Brazil’s Ronaldo has scored from a forward role, and there have been six clean sheets in the last six finals. (Average Opposition)
10. Mysterious signing returns to make his annual appearance at Ewood Park. Unfortunately, they say he’s fond of a Fowl…(Mirror)
Today’s Offside Daily was brought to you by Shafi Musaddique