10 of the biggest football stories of the day:
1. Greece veteran Giorgos Karagounis has announced his retirement following his nations exit at the hands of Costa Rica.
2. Landon Donovan admitted he rooted against the USA in pre-tournament friendlies as a result of not being picked for the World Cup squad.
3. Mick McCarthy has signed a new three year deal with Ipswich Town
4. Costa Rica boss Jorge Luis Pinto claims his side practised penalties as preparation for their historic win over Greece.
5. Arjen Robben apologises for diving but insists he was fouled for the awarded penalty which secured Holland’s quarter final place.
6. A Dutch airline operator issued an apology followed a tweet joking about Mexico’s departure from the last 16. (BBC)
7. A barber in the US offers football fans World Cup themed hair cuts. (Daily Mail)
8. Arsene Wenger takes time off from his busy schedule for some beach sports in Brazil. (Daily Mail)
9. It never goes to plan for the French at the World Cup – this time courtesy of an invasive fan and a farcical security at a training session. (Daily Mail)
10. James Rodriguez arguably scored the most sensational goal of the World Cup. Now listen to the incredible commentary to go with it! (Metro)
And 5 transfer stories that will not go away:
1. Paul Pogba – Juventus to Chelsea – £60 million
2. Alexis Sanchez – Barcelona to Arsenal – £32 million
3. Luis Suarez – Liverpool to Barcelona – £80 million
4. Thomas Vermaelen – Arsenal to Manchester United – £11 million
5. Lars Bender – Bayer Leverkusen to Liverpool – £21 million
Today’s Offside Daily was brought to you by Shafi Musaddique