Only the news you need – bringing you five mainstream and five off-the-wall news stories each day
1. Sir Alex Ferguson is returning to the Old Trafford dugout next month to manager a host of stars, including David Beckham, in a charity match being contested between Great Britain and Ireland XI and a Rest of the World XI. captained by Zinedine Zidane and managed by Carlo Ancelotti
2. David Ospina and Christian Atsu have joined Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi on a leaked 59-man Ballon D’Or shortlist, according to Spanish Newspaper Mundo Deportivo.
3. Despite suffering significant criticism in recent weeks for his team’s performances, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers sounded confident in his pre-match press conference as he reminded everyone that he hasn’t lost a Merseyside Derby yet.
4. Arsene Wenger threatened to storm out of a press conference today after growing impatient with persistent questions about his selection of David Ospina in goal for the recent Champions League game against Olympiakos.
5. Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has admitted that he believes he is in the middle of the ‘worst period, with the worst results’ of his successful career.
6. Watford Manager Quique Sanchez Flores has proven himself to be a rare man in English football as he revealed his fondness for English referees (The BBC).
7. A professor has worked out that Arsenal are statistically more likely to lose their matches when Mike Dean is refereeing their games (The Metro).
8. Martin Skrtel was spotted last night enjoying his new role at Liverpool Football Club (The Daily Mirror).
9. Ahead of reuniting with his former manager for a charity game at Old Trafford, David Beckham has confessed he would still never drink in front of Sir Alex Ferguson (The Daily Mail).
10. A Brazilian mascot was so enraged after his side saw a goal disallowed that he ripped off his own head in protest! (The Metro)
By Julian Myles