The Offside Daily: Vote of Confidence for Mourinho, Chelsea Women’s secure domestic double and Ronaldinho’s selfie nightmare.
Only the news you need – bringing you five mainstream and five off-the-wall news stories each day
1. Jose Mourinho has been given the vote of confidence by the Chelsea board after a club statement released earlier today said that the Portuguese manager had the club’s full support.
2. Elsewhere, Chelsea are still finding success as their women’s team secured a domestic double over the weekend, adding the FA Women’s Super League title to the FA Women’s Cup trophy they had already secured earlier in the season.
3. Following Brendan Rodgers’ sacking last night, Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher has urged the club’s board to go all out to bring former Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp in to manager the club going forward.
4. After parting company with Sunderland, Dutchman Dick Advocaat has admitted that his Sunderland squad were simply not good enough to avoid another scrap for survival in the Premier League this time around.
5. Having thrashed Borussia Dortmund in Der Klassiker over the weekend, Bayern Munich striker Thomas Muller is adamant that he and his teammates are on the way to making history by securing a record-breaking fourth straight Bundesliga title.
6. Usually seen smiling away about something, that wasn’t the case over the weekend as Brazilian World Cup winner Ronaldinho was asked for a selfie by a fan immediately after being involved in a car accident (Goal).
7. Statistics show that the England Women’s team are simply better than their male counterparts when it comes to World Cup tournaments (The Metro).
8. Thierry Henry’s comical reaction to Brendan Rodgers’ sacking, live on Sky Sports Super Sunday has gone viral – check it out via the link (The Daily Mail).
9. Forget Manuel Neuer, watch this Algerian goalkeeper beat a striker with some style … and a pirouette for good measure! (The Daily Mirror).
10. When football and charity can combine, it’s a great thing. We all love it. Piers Morgan and Gary Neville have upped their game this weekend though by betting each other £5,000 to their chosen charities, that Manchester United will finish above Arsenal, and vice-versa. Whoever wins that one, it’s a great gesture for the charities either way! (Joe.co.uk)
Follow our writer, Chris Horricks, on Twitter here!
Leave a Reply