The Offside Daily: Barcelona legend criticises Mourinho and van Gaal, Ronaldo’s hairdryer treatment and Redknapp’s Sunderland rant.
Only the news you need – bringing you five mainstream and five off-the-wall news stories each day
1. Barcelona icon Johan Cruyff has criticised Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal and Chelsea chief Jose Mourinho for their managerial styles, saying the Dutchman’s team doesn’t dominate enough and that the Portuguese should behave better.
2. Liverpool’s talks with Jurgen Klopp over the vacant manager’s position at Anfield are progressing well, after refusing to neither confirm nor deny the rumours linking him to the club earlier today.
3. Ahead of the BBC’s latest documentary, looking at the managerial prowess of Sir Alex Ferguson, quotes have emerged from Cristiano Ronaldo regarding the Scotsman’s famous hairdryer treatment of his players, revealing how the United boss would kick chairs, boots, water, and swear at his players if they weren’t performing to the right level.
4. Arsenal’s chances of landing Karim Benzema in the near future appear to have taken a positive step after the Frenchman signalled his discontent at being substituted so persistently during Real Madrid’s recent fixtures.
5. South Korean FIFA presidential candidate Chung Mong-joon has admitted that he is facing suspension from FIFA’s Ethics Committee but denies any wrongdoing while dismissing the charges as a ploy to prevent him from running for president of FIFA.
6. In a rare move that will hopefully become more common in the future (it would be good for us football fans, anyway), Harry Redknapp has spoken to Kicca about his links to the Sunderland job – some interesting insight here regarding his views on the club and the other potential candidates (Kicca).
7. Wolfsburg Manager Dieter Hecking was put in an incredibly awkward situation recently after he was sent to the stands in a game against Borussia Monchengladbach, but forced to sit with the opposition fans (Bleacher Report).
8. The Colorado Rockies Baseball player, Brendan Rodgers has suffered a case of mistaken identity and been inundated with messages following his namesake’s departure from Liverpool (The Independent).
9. 1860 Munich captain Christopher Schindler was on the receiving end of a few rough challenges over the weekend, so much so that the club physio accidentally got in on the act when treating the player for an injury (ESPN).
10. And finally, from one of English football’s funniest personalities, here’s some outtakes from Jimmy Bullard’s soon-to-be-launched TV show (The Daily Mail).
Follow our writer, Chris Horricks, on Twitter here!
Leave a Reply