The Offside Daily: Blatter and Platini suspended from FIFA, Barcelona star to stand trial for tax fraud and RVP’s Turkish problems
Only the news you need – bringing you five mainstream and five off-the-wall news stories each day!
1. The FIFA Scandal hit new heights of controversy today as President Sepp Blatter and UEFA President Michel Platini were hit with 90-day suspensions as inquiries continue into a payment made from Blatter to Platini in 2011.
2. Barcelona star Lionel Messi will face trial for tax fraud, despite prosecutors saying earlier this week that he had no case to answer and that the fraud was allegedly carried out by his father Jorge.
3. The worst kept secret in football was revealed today as Jurgen Klopp has formally agreed a deal to become Liverpool’s new manager and will be revealed in a press conference tomorrow – no confirmation from the club yet, but that appears to be a formality at this stage.
4. Dinamo Zagreb have announced that their Macedonian international midfielder Arijan Ademi failed a drug test after the 3-2 Champions League win over Arsenal, a game in which he played the full 90 minutes.
5. Following Jose Mourinho’s admission that receiving the Chelsea board’s backing makes him proud, Cesc Fabregas has become the latest Chelsea figure to back the Portuguese after the Champions’ difficult start to the season.
6. Manchester United weren’t the only losers following their 3-0 trouncing at the Emirates on Sunday – even the World’s fastest man Usain Bolt couldn’t escape this embarrassing forfeit he had to do after he lost a wager on the game (ESPN).
7. Not quite as good with social media as he was with the ball at his feet, former Liverpool and Republic of Ireland midfielder Ronnie Whelan made a bit of a mess of some promotional work he was doing for Bulmers recently (WhoAteAllThePies.com).
8. Would you like to be treated to breakfast in bed by Manchester United’s Marcos Rojo? If yes, you might want to think again after seeing this … (The Daily Mail).
9. Confusion initially hit the Dutch press recently when Manchester United’s Memphis Depay refused to speak to them, but his reasons have now been revealed (The Metro).
10. It seems to be anything but a Turkish delight at the moment for Robin Van Persie – the striker looks to be fed up of life at Fenerbache after a few short months and limited game time (The Daily Mirror).
Follow our writer, Chris Horricks, on Twitter here!
Leave a Reply