The Offside Daily: Dutch legend diagnosed with lung cancer, Manchester City could be hit with UEFA charge and whilst Southampton cause a fantasy football nightmare
Only the news you need – bringing you five mainstream and five off-the-wall news stories each day!
1. According to multiple reports, three-time Ballon d’Or winner Johan Cruyff has lung cancer. Arguably Europe’s greatest ever footballer, the Dutchman is said to be undergoing tests in hospital to determine the extent of the disease.
2. Despite Kevin De Bruyne’s late winner against Sevilla in the Champions League last night, Manchester City have cause for concern this morning after it emerged they are being investigated by UEFA because their fans booed the Champions League anthem.
3. Former Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes has slammed the Louis van Gaal’s side for having ‘no quality’ following the Old Trafford club’s 1-1 draw against CSKA Moscow last night.
4. Scholes isn’t the only one having his say. Dietmar Hamann has come out in criticism of Jose Mourinho, saying the Chelsea boss ‘looks like he’s begging for the sack’ following a string of recent outbursts during Chelsea’s stuttering start to the season.
5. Wales women’s midfielder Jess Fishlock has spoken out about the challenges she faces as a high-profile gay athlete, revealing she has suffered homophobic abuse on social media in the past and fears that homophobia could discourage others from playing sport.
6. I’m all for competitiveness, sometimes it doesn’t get more competitive than fantasy football, but one fan has taken it to another level by writing to the Fantasy Premier League to say how cheated he recently felt by their scoring system (The Daily Mirror).
7. I imagine any footballer would like to have such an impact at a club that there’s little toy dolls made of them – anybody remember the Power Pods? – but one company has got it totally wrong by making their Nazi dolls look like a certain Manchester United player (The Guardian).
8. The comparison of Anthony Martial to Thierry Henry really took off last night after the Manchester United striker’s handball to gift CSKA Moscow a penalty was compared to the Arsenal legend’s handball antics (HITC Sport).
9. Who knew a TV career for Jimmy Bullard could prove to be quite entertaining for us fans? Check out the highlights from one of his shows here (The Metro).
10. And finally … because we’ve included some less positive stories about him lately, Cristiano Ronaldo has actively been encouraging more youngsters to give blood (The Daily Mail).
Follow our writer, Chris Horricks, on Twitter here!
Leave a Reply