Only the news you need – bringing you five mainstream and five off-the-wall news stories each day!
1. Guus Hiddink would jump at the chance to return to the Chelsea dugout as manager of the club, according to a report by The Telegraph’s Matt Law. Given his popularity amongst the players and the fans after his hugely successful stint with the club in 2009, might Hiddink be the right man to replace the Special One if he does indeed leave?
2. Aston Villa captain Micah Richards has been charged with improper conduct by the FA, following an incident in the tunnel involving Swansea’s Federico Fernandez after the Englishman’s side lost to the Welsh side over the weekend.
3. Barcelona President Josep Maria Bartomeu has sternly denied claims that Argentina superstar Lionel messi is considering quitting the Catalan Club in favour of a switch to the Premier League in the near future.
4. Franz Beckenbauer, the German legend that headed his country’s bid to host the World Cup in 2006, has admitted that the £4.8m payment he made to FIFA in 2005 was a mistake but rejected claims it was a ploy to buy votes in favour of Germany’s bid for the tournament.
5. Amidst speculation of a huge move for his star striker, Leicester City manager Claudio Ranieri has said that the club will not stand in Jamie Vardy’s way should he want to join Real Madrid.
6. Watch out Ozil! This referee just provided a pretty awesome assist for Peruvian side Sporting Cristal to snatch what was a tight 2-2 game, 3-2 in the dying moments – unbelievable from the official, really (Eurosport).
7. We’ve all seen these lookalike memes of people who look like players working in McDonalds or whatever, but we’ve never seen one go so viral that it has forced a player to come out and confirm that it is a lookalike … until now (The Daily Mirror).
8. If you’re going to do the bonkers thing and invade the pitch while the game is being played, make sure you do it properly like this guy (Soccer Laduma).
9. Then again, if you want to get close to the pitch, why not follow the lead of this fan who tried to pass for a steward in a recent match – needless to say it didn’t go too well for him (The Metro).
10. After supposedly being overlooked for the Liverpool job, there was talk of Carlo Ancelotti wanting to make a return to the Premier League in January – but will he make that return before or after his Star Trek cameo? Yes, you read that right – get the low-down on the Italian’s latest role here (WhatCulture).
Follow our writer, Chris Horricks, on Twitter here!