Only the news you need – bringing you five mainstream and five off-the-wall news stories each day!
1. Former Chelsea team doctor Eva Carneiro is set to sue the club for constructive dismissal, which could trigger an employment tribunal unless the club can agree and out-of-court settlement with Carneiro before the hearing takes place.
2. Louis van Gaal has hit back at Paul Scholes after the Old Trafford legend criticised Manchester United’s style of play, insisting that he is not affected by anything the club’s former players have to say and adding that Scholes is paid ‘to say something’
3. Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has defended Jose Mourinho ahead of their first Premier League clash on Saturday, saying the Portuguese manager is a nice guy if you’re not a referee or a journalist.
4. Roberto Martinez has refused to be drawn on claims from Romelu Lukaku’s agent who said he would be sold by Everton if the right offer came in,
5. On loan Chelsea forward Lucas Piazon is wanted by Toronto Police in connection with an alleged sexual assault, following an incident which allegedly took place during the Pan-Am Games tournament in July.
6. Look, I know we all get frustrated with referees every now and then but this Turkish club have gone a bit far here we think (BBC).
7. Newcastle United’s open letter to their fans, where manager Steve McLaren apologises for the defeat in the Tyne-Wear derby, hasn’t been given a seal of approval by one of the club’s legends (Twitter).
8. Liverpool left-back Alberto Moreno has vowed to show off his dancing skills if Liverpool win a trophy under Jurgen Klopp (Liverpool Echo).
9. You have to feel for the Germans sometimes. A defender for FC Viktoria Koln, who were already 4-0 down against Bayer Leverkusen in the German Cup, noticed the referee had dropped his red card, tried to return it to him and ended up falling further behind as a result (ESPN).
10. And finally, would you let your kids design your tattoos? One England legend has done just that (The Guardian).
By Julian Myles