Only the news you need – bringing you five mainstream and five off-the-wall news stories each day!
1. Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has confirmed that he will not appeal his stadium ban ahead of the Blues’ trip to Stoke City this Sunday, adding: ‘it is stupid to fight a fight you know you are going to lose.’
2. With Cristiano Ronaldo seen speaking to PSG manager Laurent Blanc after Real Madrid beat PSG on Tuesday, a French Newspaper has today claimed that the Portuguese star told Blanc ‘I’d like to work with you.’
3. Lionel Messi’s stunning solo effort against Athletic Bilbao in the Spanish Super Cup has made it onto this year’s 10-goal shortlist for this year’s FIFA Puskas Award alongside Boca Juniors’ Carlos Tevez and Fleetwood Town’s David Ball.
4. Louis van Gaal has told Manchester United fans to direct their displeasure and unhappiness regarding the club’s performances at him and not his players, as Wayne Rooney scored the club’s first goal in 404 minutes against CSKA Moscow on Tuesday.
5. David Beckham’s dream of owning an MLS franchise has come under threat after the proposed new stadium for the Miami-based team could fall through, according to an article in the Miami Herald.
6. We like to keep you up to date on the next big thing here at the Offside Rule Podcast and we might have found one here for you; check out Diego Cortes’ goal for Mexico in the under-17s (The Guardian).
7. If Sepp Blatter’s lack of popularity was ever in doubt, scenes at one fireworks display last night certainly reminded everyone (BBC).
8. If Arsene Wenger ever gets sacked or leaves Arsenal, might this be a new career path for him? (Joe.co.uk)
9. It has been a while since we spotted a doppelganger, but Gary Lineker has kept us on our toes with this one! (ESPN)
10. Have we ever seen anything like this before? Braga had to overcome a bit of an obstacle before their game with Marseille yesterday (The Daily Mirror).
By Julian Myles.