The Offside Daily: Is Pep heading to Manchester United or City as Zizou talks up Real Madrid’s prospects
Only the news you need – bringing you five mainstream and five off-the-wall news stories each day!
1. Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has stated that he didn’t extend his contract because he wants to manage in the Barclays Premier League, with the Catalan adding that he ‘has had offers but hasn’t signed anything yet’.
2. Having been unveiled as Real Madrid Manager, Zinedine Zidane has played down comparisons with Guardiola, but has promised to win a trophy with Real Madrid this season.
3. Sunderland manager Sam Allardyce has slammed the Premier League for devaluing the FA Cup, saying it is ‘diabolical’ that clubs have games on the Tuesday and Wednesday following weekend Cup games.
4. Brentford’s upturn in form has resulted in Burnley and Sheffield Wednesday tabling bids for highly-rated defender James Tarkowski and attacking midfielder Alan Judge, both of which have been rejected by the Griffin Park club.
5. According to Neil Warnock, QPR striker Charlie Austin ‘is in no rush to leave’ – the former bricklayer is out of contract at the end of the season and Warnock believes Austin wants to leave as a free agent.
6. Manchester United’s possession-based style of play under Louis van Gaal has irked the powers that be at Adidas, despite selling more shirts globally (BBC).
7. Manchester United fans took to social media to thank Gary Neville for playing a part in getting former Liverpool and Chelsea manager Rafael Benitez sacked by Real Madrid (The Metro).
8. Introducing Kriko Grabovskis, the Latvian nine-year-old being touted as the next Lionel Messi (YouTube).
9. Newcastle fans look away! Hatem Ben Arfa shows the Toon Army what they’re missing, almost scoring the goal of the decade in the process (The Chronicle).
10. An 11-year-old Manchester United fan wrote a critical letter to Sir Alex Ferguson in 2005, and Fergie replied to him brilliantly it has been revealed(Joe.co.uk).
By Chris Horricks.
Leave a Reply