The Offside Daily: Transfer Market in full swing as Newcastle make £12m swoop and Liverpool sign a defender on loan.
Only the news you need – bringing you five mainstream and five off-the-wall news stories each day!
1. England international Jonjo Shelvey has joined Steve McLaren’s Newcastle from Swansea in a deal worth £12m.
2. Midfielder Dele Ali has signed a new contract with Tottenham Hotspur, keeping him at the club until 2021.
3. Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has moved to bolster his injury hit squad by bringing Steven Caulker in on loan from Queens Park Rangers.
4. The eight-year bans handed to Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini, ensuring the duo are not allowed to have any involvement in football for that amount of time, are set to be extended further on the recommendation of FIFA’s Ethics Committee.
5. Italian international goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon didn’t vote on the Ballon d’Or award for the best keeper as he wasn’t on the shortlist.
6. Lionel Messi may have won the Ballon d’Or but the Argentinian was overshadowed by actor James Nesbitt’s hair (The Daily Mirror).
7. Manchester United coach Louis Van Gaal admits that even he has been bored watching some of his own team’s games this season (Joe.co.uk)
8. An avid Cristiano Ronaldo fan resorted to crowd surfing in order to meet his hero at yesterday’s Ballon d’Or ceremony (Goal.com).
9. Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil says his team mate Mathieu Flamini should have won the Ballon d’Or instead of Lionel Messi (The Metro).
10. Wayne Rooney voted for José Mourinho as his top pick for Coach of the Year, followed by Pep Guardiola and Chile’s Jorge Sampaoli (Sky Sports).
By Chris Horricks.
Leave a Reply