Only the news you need – bringing you five mainstream and five off-the-wall news stories each day!
1. Liverpool’s Juergen Klopp has described former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson as the “John Lennon of football” ahead of Sunday’s Premier League meeting between the two rivals.
2. Numerous newspapers are reporting that Real Madrid are keen on splashing out on players before their recently announced transfer ban comes into effect.
3. Manchester City have completed their first signing of the January transfer window with the capture of Central Coast Mariners midfielder Anthony Caceres. Juventus’ Martin Caceres has also been linked to the club.
4. Watford swept up the Premier League’s monthly awards, as forward Odion Ighalo was named player of the month for December and Quique Sanchez Flores bagged the managerial award.
5. Unsettled West Bromwich Albion striker Saido Berahino, along with every player in the squad, is for sale at the right price, manager Tony Pulis said amid speculation regarding the striker wanting a move to Tottenham Hotspur.
6. Joe Cole has revealed some of his favourite things about playing in the lower leagues with Coventry City (ESPN).
7. Robert Huth had an unusual thing to thank for the winning goal he scored against Tottenham Hotspur in midweek (Who Ate All The Pies).
8. This is what your phone looks like when you’re a footballer with eight million followers on Instagram – inspirational, isn’t it!? (CNN).
9. Barcelona were drawn to play Athletic Bilbao in the Copa del Rey, but their social media team – not quite as good as ours – were quick to get in this cheeky tweet to troll the Basque club (Eurosport).
10. Didier Drogba’s future is somewhat uncertain at the moment – will he carry on playing or simply coach? OR … Could he have a career in the NBA? (The Evening Standard).