1. Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger described Per Mertesacker’s red card in the 1-0 defeat to Chelsea as ‘harsh’ but stopped short of accusing Diego Costa of diving to get the German international sent off
2. Newcastle United are said to have lost interest in taking Andros Townsend from Tottenham Hotspur, with the London club understood to want £14m for the England international – a price St James’ Park chiefs are unwilling to meet.
3. Newspaper reports suggest Manchester United manager Louis Van Gaal is on the verge of resigning, following the latest in a string of below-par showings culminated a 1-0 defeat to Southampton at Old Trafford.
4. An appeal over the decision to make the full details of West Ham’s agreement to move into the Olympic Stadium public is to be heard. Stadium decision-makers, London Legacy Development Council, have spent £17,000 fighting the ruling.
5. Crystal Palace striker Conor Wickham has been charged with violent conduct, following a clash with Tottenham Hotspur’s Belgian defender Jan Vertonghen on Saturday.
6. Sunderland manager Sam Allardyce can’t wait for the transfer window to shut, so he can go back to watching his favourite TV shows (The Northern Echo).
7. Five players were sent off in a ‘friendly’ between Argentine rivals Boca Juniors and River Plate. With friends like these who needs enemies? (YouTube)
8. Brentford manager Dean Smith is hopeful of keeping Alan Judge at Griffin Park, adding that he has a transfer window advent calendar behind which he hopes to find a chocolate version of the Irishman on 2nd February (Twitter).
9. Something tells us Thierry Henry isn’t the biggest fan of Gareth Barry, watch the Frenchman’s reaction at the suggestion the Everton player is one of England’s best ever (The Metro).
10. Spurs teammates Eric Dier and Dele Alli have taken their friendship, and banter, to Twitter – check this out for a bromance! (The Daily Mirror)
By Chris Horricks.