Van Gaal out the door at United as Mourinho looms, Götze to stay in Munich, and Google asks “why are Aston Villa so bad?”
1. Despite winning the FA Cup for the first time since 2004, Manchester United have sacked Louis van Gaal, with José Mourinho widely expected to become the next manager at Old Trafford.
2. Wales manager Chris Coleman has signed a new 2-year deal to extend his stay until after the 2018 World Cup after leading the country to its first major tournament since 1958.
3. Reported Liverpool target Mario Götze has committed his future to current club Bayern Munich after stating that he is looking forward to the coming season under new manager Carlo Ancelotti.
4. Everton and Belgium striker Romelu Lukaku has fuelled speculation that he is set to leave Goodison Park this summer after admitting he is expecting to leave the club. Manchester United, Chelsea and Bayern Munich are potential destinations for the 23-year-old.
5. England manager Roy Hodgson has defended his decision to allow Jamie Vardy to miss the upcoming tie against Australia because he is getting married. Vardy has already had to cancel the ceremony once after being called up by England earlier in the season.
6. Leicester City’s close-season tour of Thailand is going swimmingly, with over a million people turning out to see the team on an open-top bus tour last week. This week sees the Foxes visiting Myanmar and paying their respects at the Shwedagon Buddhist pagoda (LeicesterMercury).
7. Frank Lampard was booed by New York City fans as he was brought on in their derby game with New York Red Bulls this weekend. Fans are now starting to wonder if Lamps might be the worst signing in MLS history (Mirror).
8. Following the sacking of Louis van Gaal this website has suggested that he will be remembered more for his humour than his football. They have even created a gallery of LVG’s funniest moments to prove it… (FootballFancast).
9. “Why are Aston Villa so bad?” and “Why does Prince William support Aston Villa?” both feature in a list of top questions asked of Google about the relegated club, as discovered by this newspaper (Expressandstar).
10. And finally, Northern Ireland international Niall McGinn looks delighted as he poses with a beer in a limited edition pint glass for a picture for the team’s sponsors (Irishfa.com).
By Ben Wheatland (@BenWheatland)
Leave a Reply