Ex-Leverkusen coach Lewandowski passes away aged 44, Rashford admits surprise at mesmerising rise in career, and Swedish star given superhero treatment complete with theme tune…
1. Former Bayer Leverkusen coach Sascha Lewandowski has been found dead at his home at the tender age of 44. Club president Dirk Zingler said ‘we are deeply shocked and incredibly sad’.
2. Former Watford coach Quique Sánchez Flores has been named as head coach of Spanish side Espanyol less than a month after leaving Vicarage Road. 51-year-old Flores has signed a three-year contract.
3. Marcus Rashford admits he is surprised by just how fast he has risen from the obscurity of Manchester United’s youth team to international footballer. It has taken the striker less than five months to go from United debut to England call up.
4. Bolton Wanderers are set to name Phil Parkinson as their new manager on Friday, according to local radio sources. Former Bradford boss Parkinson’s appointment would end months of Wanderers being managerless since Neil Lennon left the club.
5. Southend boss Phil Brown has been handed a four match touchline ban by the Football Association for misconduct following an incident on the last day of the season against Bury FC. Brown said he had learnt his lesson and would take it into consideration in future.
6. Some people say footballers are often treated like superheroes, and that’s certainly the case for Sweden striker Zlatan Ibrahimović who has had his name set to a popular film theme tune (YouTube).
7. A group of children have recreated some of the most famous moments from Euro ’96, including Gazza’s goal against Scotland and David Seaman’s penalty save from Gary McCallister (Mirror).
8. An Iranian international has been suspended for wearing trousers depicting popular children’s cartoon character Spongebob Squarepants (Guardian).
9. Years on from the first Anfield Rap with John Barnes and John Aldridge, it’s time for round two. Step forward James Milner with his rendition of the Warren G classic, Regulate (you have been warned – Ed.) (WhoAteAllThePies).
10. And finally…Things are obviously very relaxed in the England camp ahead of their opening Euro 2016 game against Russia, with Jamie Vardy finding time to go shopping for board games (DailyMail).
By Chris Horricks (@chrishorricks31).
Leave a Reply