1. England will play Iceland after the smallest nation in the tournament qualified for the round of 16 courtesy of a stoppage time win over Austria the dramatic 3-3 draw between Hungary and Portugal.
2. Robbie Brady’s header was enough to clinch a 1-0 win over a much changed Italy for the Republic of Ireland and give Martin O’Neill’s squad a place in the knock out stages of the European Championships for the first time.
3. England striker Jamie Vardy has ended months of speculation regarding his future by signing a new contract extension with Premier League champions Leicester City, effectively confirming he has snubbed a move to Arsenal in favour of staying at the King Power stadium.
4. Reports have emerged suggesting that the Football Association held secret talks late last year with Brendan Rodgers about taking over from Roy Hodgson as national team manager. Former Liverpool boss Rodgers has since taken over at Celtic.
5. Barcelona’s Andrés Iniesta claims he was set to take Spain’s penalty against Croatia, only for Real Madrid’s Sergio Ramos to insist on taking it. The 30-year-old defender promptly missed the spot kick…
6. We all remember the Norwegian commentator exclaiming ‘your boys took one hell of a beating’ after their victory over England in a 1981 qualifying match, however this Icelandic commentator knocks him out of the water (BBC).
7. A group of Belgian fans who openly admitted, via the medium of a flag, that they were ‘only here for the Swedish girls’, couldn’t have ever imagined their honesty would bear fruit with their intended demographic (Mirror).
8. In the latest in a long line of incidents that prove that footballers are really children, Gerard Piqué, Spanish international and husband of Shakira, saw a television camera being on him as a perfect moment for an inappropriate hand gesture. He later denied doing it (Goal.com).
9. Ireland’s qualification for the knock out stages was all too much for hard man assistant manager Roy Keane as he was seen crying on the pitch following the match. Perhaps it’s best you don’t ask him about it too often though (WhoAteAllThePies).
10. And finally… in what must be the most bizarre red card ever issued, Adam Lindin of Swedish club Pershagen FK was sent off for flatulence (Stuff.co.nz).
By Chris Horricks (@chrishorricks31).