Humiliated, humbled and on their way home – Rebecca gives us her thoughts on a disappointing night for England as they make history in their defeat to Iceland.
- The 4-3-3 – The game hadn’t even kicked off and England fans have had enough. The start of the night began with the flop formation, not to mention only having one winger. Sadly this was just the start of things to come for the Three Lions.
- Penalty! – England were rewarded a penalty just three minutes into the game as Sterling was tripped by Goalkeeper Hannes Haldorsson. Rooney stepped up and gave England their early lead!
- Still celebrating? – Hands up if you were still screaming over that Rooney penalty when Sigurdsson scored for Iceland just moments later … Sigh.
- Making History – Proud moment for Wayne Rooney as he won his 115thcap this evening, equaling David Beckham’s record for most appearances by an outfield player for England.
- Goalkeeping Errors – Joe Hart couldn’t save a word document as he was beaten down to his left by Sigthorsson who put Iceland 2-1 up.
- Supermarket football – ‘Unexpected result in the bagging area’, Iceland football team weren’t the only winners tonight as Iceland foods won the Internet with their #ENGISL updates!
- Tackle of the Tournament – Ragnar Sigurdsson was on fire. His outstanding tackle to deny Vardy of a shot on goal left the people of Twitter going crazy.
- ENGixt – Coming up to 90 minutes and it was time to cue the England must really want out of Europe jokes…
- Iceland – Population 330 thousand, great team and incredible fans, their support off the field has matched their performance on it. We are forever jealous of the well-coordinated Iceland clap.
- End of the line – After a thoroughly disappointing display, Roy Hodgson announced his resignation following the defeat to Iceland. The hunt for a new England manager begins but first the hour and a half flight home.
Read more from Rebecca Coles here