1. Sam Allardyce is set to be appointed as the new England manager, succeeding previous incumbent Roy Hodgson. Confirmation of the Sunderland boss’ move away from the Stadium of Light is expected in the coming 24 hours.
2. Liverpool have accepted a bid from Stoke City for Wales international midfielder Joe Allen. It is believed the Potters have bid around £13m for the 26-year-old who only has one year left on his current Anfield contract.
3. Former Porto coach Julen Lopetegui has been appointed manager of Spain following the departure of Vicente Del Bosque after a less than impressive Euro 2016 campaign from the 2010 World Cup winners.
4. A Chinese conglomerate has completed a takeover of Championship club Wolverhampton Wanderers. The Molineux club is said to have cost the group known as Fosun International around £45m.
5. During Bournemouth’s pre-season tour of America, the goalkeeper for Minnesota United inexplicably threw the ball into his own net whilst under pressure from nobody to register one of the more peculiar own goals you’re likely to see (DailyRecord).
6. Still on the goalkeeping theme, this one was a little bit more successful. Liverpool reserve custodian Shamal George was used as an outfield substitute during a 2-0 win at Huddersfield after Jürgen Klopp’s team ran out of outfield replacements (LiverpoolEcho).
7. Neither of the previous two goalkeeper-based stories have anything on the spectacular nature of this one. During Partizani Tirana’s penalty shoot-out in their Champions League tie, ‘keeper Alban Hoxha scored his own shot with a cheeky chipped effort and proceeded to save three others (WhoAteAllThePies).
8. Multiple time Olympic gold medallist Usain Bolt is confident he will play for Manchester United now that José Mourinho is the manager at the Old Trafford club (Mirror).
9. And finally…Leeds United have scrapped the controversial so called ‘pie tax’ which saw ticket prices in some sections of Elland Road have £5 added to their cost in return for fans being issued with food vouchers (BBCSport).
By Chris Horricks (@chrishorricks31).