1. German World Cup winner Bastian Schweinsteiger has announced his retirement from international football at the age of 31. There are also doubts about his future with Manchester United, as Old Trafford supremo José Mourinho has forced him to train on his own away from the rest of the first-team squad.
2. Premier League new boys Middlesbrough have signed goalkeeper Brad Guzan on a two-year contract after the American custodian was allowed to leave Aston Villa on a free.
3. France international Bafétimbi Gomis has joined Ligue 1 side Marseille from Swansea City on a season-long loan deal. 30-year-old striker Gomis scored seven goals in 30 games for the Swans last season.
4. A fan who spotted Cristiano Ronaldo when he was out shopping was shoved to one side for daring to ask the Portugal and Real Madrid player to have a photo taken with him (Mirror).
5. Non-league Spennymore Town refused to play the second half of their friendly against Newton Aycliffe, citing that the match had ‘taken an aggressive direction’ and as such was ‘unsafe’ to continue (BBCSport).
6. Spanish midfielder Javier Hervás has left Bosnian club FK Željezničar Sarajevo after less than a month and without having played a game for them as he was attacked in the street by stray dogs (WhoAteAllThePies).
7. Norwich City came up with a perfect and very concise response to a fan who questioned the clubs’ support for the LBGT community (Joe.ie).
8. And finally…Wendell Lira, the winner of the Puskás Award for Goal of the Year 2015, has retired from football to pursue a new career as a professional computer gamer (ESPNFC).
By Chris Horricks (@chrishorricks31).