Late Costa strike gives Conte a winning start at Chelsea, tributes paid to ex-Villa striker Atkinson following death and Manchester United favourites for Brazilian
1. Chelsea survived a fight back from West Ham to secure a 2-1 win in new coach Antonio Conte’s first game in charge. James Collins’ 85th minute strike cancelled out Eden Hazard’s penalty and looked as if it had earned a point for the Hammers only for Diego Costa to win it for the hosts in the 89th minute.
2. A plane carrying Manchester City staff to Bucharest for their Champions League qualifying match had to be evacuated as smoke was seen coming from the engine. As a result of the incident flights from Manchester Airport were delayed for up to 40 minutes.
3. Manchester United have over taken Premier League champions Leicester City as favourites to land highly rated Santos striker Gabriel Barbosa. It is believed the Red Devils are preparing a bid in the region of £30m for the 19-year-old Brazilian.
4. Tributes have poured in for former Aston Villa and Manchester City striker Dalian Atkinson after the 48-year-old tragically passed away following an incident involving a police taser on Monday.
5. Burnley have broken their transfer record for the second summer transfer window in succession. Sean Dyche’s men recruited Andre Gray from Brentford for a fee in the region of £11m last year but they have surpassed that fee with the signing of Anderlecht midfielder Steven Defour for an as yet undisclosed amount.
6. Mixed Martial Arts star Connor McGregor has joked that he would slap the head off Cristiano Ronaldo if the pair ever met for a bout in the octagon (GiveMeSport).
7. A Swedish top flight match between Jönköpings Södra IF and Östersunds FK was abandoned after a 17-year-old hooligan ran on to the pitch and attacked the visiting ‘keeper (WhoAteAllThePies).
8. Lionel Messi’s son Matteo is showing signs of following in his dads footsteps despite being less than a year old. Messi junior is already comfortably walking unaided on a football pitch at the family home (Mirror).
9. Barcelona’s Cristian Tello turned up for his Fiorentina medical ahead of his second loan spell at the Italian club wearing a t-shirt with the slogan ‘I love beer’ emblazoned on the front of it. Perhaps not the best choice of attire for a professional athlete (DirtyTackle).
10. And finally…Bamber Bridge FC’s team bus broke down after their match against Scarborough Athletic, so they hitched a ride on a passing tractor to the nearest pub (Lep.co.uk).
By Chris Horricks (@chrishorricks31).
Leave a Reply