1. Arsène Wenger has told Arsenal fans that the Gunners are prepared to bring in new players before the transfer window closes. Large sections of supporters have been vocal in their criticism of the club’s transfer policy, but Wenger said “I can reassure people we are ready to spend the money we have”.
2. Queens Park Rangers boss Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink slated referee Darren Bond’s performance during his team’s 3-2 defeat against Barnsley. Former Chelsea striker Hasselbaink claimed the official turned the match into ‘the wild, wild west’.
3. West Ham United have been dealt a major blow at the start of their Premier League season with the news that record signing André Ayew requires thigh surgery and will be out of action for up to four months.
4. Barcelona’s Neymar scored the fastest goal in the history of the Olympic football tournament when he put the hosts into the lead on their way to a 6-0 win over Honduras after just 14 seconds. Brazil now face Germany in the gold medal match.
5. It seems the Catalan giants didn’t miss their Brazilian Olympic hero, however, as they secured a 5-0 aggregate win over Sevilla. A brace from Arda Turan and Lionel Messi’s obligatory goal secured a 3-0 win at the Nou Camp.
6. An Arsenal fan who jumped the gun and got “Mahrez 26” on the back of his new shirt has put it up for sale after the Algerian playmaker signed an extended contract to keep him at Leicester City for a further four years (Metro).
7. Blackburn’s Republic of Ireland international Shane Duffy had a night to forget in their match against Cardiff City. Having already scored one own goal in the opening two games of the season he added two more to take his tally to three for the season. If that wasn’t bad enough, though, he was sent off for a second bookable offence in stoppage time (BBCSport).
8. Hull City’s website has listed striker Greg Luer in the Tigers’ squad no fewer than 12 times. It begs the question; if one Greg Luers is injured or sent off, can another one take his place? (WhoAteAllThePies).
9. Less than two months after announcing his retirement, former Liverpool and Norway international John Arne Riise has signed for Indian Premier League club Chennaiyin FC (Goal).
10. And finally…Our best wishes for a full recovery go to former Sky Sports presenter Charlie Webster who is in a coma after contracting malaria in Brazil where she had arrived to coincide with the Olympics. Get well soon Charlie, our thoughts are with you (Joe.ie).
By Chris Horricks (@chrishorricks31).