1. Sam Allardyce says picking his first England squad was the hardest selection process he has experienced in his managerial career. Everton’s Ross Barkley was omitted from the group for the World Cup Qualifier in Slovakia in favour of West Ham’s Michail Antonio, who earned his first call-up.
2. Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero will miss both of Argentina’s upcoming World Cup qualifying matches with a calf injury. 28-year-old City star Aguero picked up the injury during Manchester City’s 3-1 win over West Ham on Sunday.
3. Moroccan attacking midfielder Sofiane Boufal has joined Southampton from French club Lille for £16m. He becomes the Saints’ record signing, eclipsing the £15m Southampton outfit splashed out on striker Dani Osvaldo from Roma in 2013.
4. Liverpool striker Luis Alberto is set to join Lazio for £4.3m. 23-year-old Alberto was signed by former manager Brendan Rodgers for £6.8m in 2013 but only made 12 appearances for the Anfield club. He spent last season on loan to Spanish side Deportivo La Coruna where he scored six goals.
5. West Brom have snapped up Tottenham’s Belgian international midfielder Nacer Chadli for a fee believed to be in the region of £13m. He played 119 games for Spurs, scoring 25 goals in the process. However, he hasn’t featured in Mauricio Pochettino’s plans at the beginning of the new season.
6. Emmanuel Frimpong made his debut for Russian club Arsenal Tula wearing a shirt with “Dench” in on the back and was immediately subbed off during the game against FC Ural. Some might say he was less Dench and more bench! (TheSun).
7. One very lucky punter in Bolton placed a £2.20 accumulator on 20 matches and pocketed in excess of £12,000 (Mirror).
8. Mesut Ozil is known for the numerous assists he provides for his Gunners’ team mates to score goals, but it seems he’s turned his hand to helping out in a similar manner off the pitch. Shkodran Mustafi has revealed Ozil was instrumental in his joining the London club (Metro).
9. If only their adult counterparts would show the same level of sportsmanship as the Barcelona under-13 squad. Here they are consoling their opposition they had beaten 1-0 in the final of the prestigious World Challenge Cup (Joe.ie).
10. And finally…The father of Deportivo La Coruna striker Lucas Perez, who is a target of Arsenal, owns an octopus stand (whatever one of those is) on Camden Market (WhoAteAllThePies).
By Chris Horricks