1. Swiss prosecution services have begun a criminal investigation into German football legend Franz Beckenbauer and three other officials over alleged fraud and money laundering which is said to have taken place during the successful bid for the rights to host the 2006 World Cup.
2. A report into ‘serious regulatory concerns’ surrounding a charity run by Didier Drogba is set to be concluded within a month. It is believed that only £14,115 of £1.7m donated to the Didier Drogba foundation was used to help causes in Africa.
3. Sunderland fans and manager David Moyes have been handed a major setback with the news that striker Fabio Borini will miss three months of the Premier League season with a groin injury.
4. Chelsea Ladies will play German club Wolfsburg in the Champions League for a second consecutive year following the draw for the round of 32. Wolfsburg saw off the Blues in last season’s tournament on their way to the final.
5. Gareth Bale says he and his Welsh team mates have gotten their successful Euro 2016 campaign ‘out of their system’ and insists that they are now focussed on the 2018 World Cup ahead of their first qualifying match against Moldova in Cardiff.
6. Leeds United were busy on transfer deadline day; they have snapped up Ronaldo and Romario. Unfortunately for the Elland Road faithful this is not the World Cup Winning Brazilian duo but a pair of Guinea-Bissau born twins named after them (WhoAteAllThePies).
7. Following Jack Wilshere’s loan switch from Arsenal to Dean Court, the Bournemouth branch of Iceland took to social media to poke fun at the England midfielder’s past indiscretions involving smoking and alcohol (Metro).
8. Liverpool boss Jürgen Klopp used transfer deadline day as an opportunity to clear out some dead wood from his squad. A record breaking 12 players were released by the Anfield supremo on the last day of the window (Mirror).
9. Norrby IF defender Medi Dresevic was sent off for celebrating the third goal of his hat-trick by jumping over the advertising hoardings to applaud himself during their 6-1 win over Tvååkers IF in the Swedish Premier League (TheGuardian).
10. And finally…Paul Merson was caught on camera openly laughing at the gusto with which Jim White brought the curtain down on Sky Sports News’ coverage of transfer deadline day (YouTube).
By Chris Horricks (@chrishorricks31).