1. Sylvia Gore, who scored the first ever goal for the England Women’s team, has sadly passed away at the age of 71. Our deepest condolences go to her friends and family.
2. Juventus, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid are believed to be amongst clubs who are in favour of a breakaway European Elite League which could see English clubs playing midweek games in China within five years according to newspaper reports.
3. Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling won the Player of the Month award for his role in a start to the season that has seen his club neck and neck with neighbours United at the top of the table. It couldn’t have been better timing as the pair meet in the Manchester Derby at Old Trafford on Saturday.
4. Mike Phelan has been named as Premier League Manager of the Month for his work during his caretaker roll in charge of Hull City this season. Phelan was handed the role following the sudden resignation of former boss Steve Bruce who had led the Tigers promoted from the Championship last season.
5. Arsenal’s Chilean star Alexis Sanchez believes he has the same ability as Real Madrid’s Portuguese international Cristiano Ronaldo and fellow South American, Argentina and Barcelona idol Lionel Messi.
6. It seems there’s a storm brewing at West Bromwich Albion as manager Tony Pulis reacted negatively to comments made by Baggies’ chairman John Williams in which he claimed that Pulis was happy with the signings the club made during the transfer window (BirminghamMail).
7. Former Swansea striker Michu made a sensational return for his current club Real Oviedo by scoring twice in his first appearance for them in a staggering 686 days (TheGuardian).
8. A former member of the coaching staff assembled by the late great Sir Bobby Robson during his time as England manager has told an interviewer that players were told to celebrate scoring goals in front of specific advertising boards at Wembley (WhoAteAllThePies).
9. Franck Ribery showed that at the age of 33 he is still as agile as the teenagers who currently occupy places in the elite clubs of European leagues by scoring a sublime overhead kick in training (Mirror).
10. And finally… Supporters of Dutch club Ado Den Haag are being actively encouraged to bring cuddly toys with them to their away game against Feyenoord as part of a children’s charity campaign (Goal).
By Chris Horricks (@ChrisHorricks31).