Allardyce leaves England role after Daily Telegraph investigation, Derby County suspend Nigel Pearson, and Barca prepare to play in glow in the dark kit…
1. Former England boss Sam Allardyce has admitted that his actions were a silly thing to do but claims that “entrapment has won”. Allardyce also went on to leave the door open for a future return to football management after he left his role at the FA in disgrace last night.
2. After their undercover investigation brought an end to Allardyce’s England reign, the Daily Telegraph has added that eight current or former Premier League managers may have taken bribes for the transfer of players. The paper has agreed to hand transcripts of its evidence to the Football Association, as well as to the police.
3. Premier League champions Leicester City won their first ever Champions League home game last night against Portuguese side FC Porto. New signing Islam Slimani scored his third goal in four Leicester City games to send the Foxes two points clear in their Champions League group after two games.
4. Derby County have suspended manager Nigel Pearson, who did not take charge of the Rams’ mid-week win at Cardiff City. Pearson’s Derby have started the season poorly, having not won in six league games, and currently sit third from bottom in the Championship.
5. West Ham are investigating claims that Hammers players Andy Carroll and Darren Randolph were spotted drunk on Tuesday afternoon. There were conflicting reports, with some claiming the pair were drunk and others suggesting that they were simply enjoying a beverage at a coffee shop.
6. Praise the Lord! Former Arsenal striker and cult-hero Nicklas Bendtner scored his first goal for new club Nottingham Forest in the club’s 1-1 draw against Fulham. Bendtner’s goal was his first in English football since January 2014 (BBC Sport).
7. Barcelona are a record breaking club that is always looking to expand the horizons of football. Therefore it is no surprise that they will be doing that once again tonight as they wear their glow-in-the-dark third kit during their Champions League fixture at Borussia Monchengladbach (WhoAteAllThePies).
8. Big Sam talking about how to circumvent FA rules was bad enough, but whilst the FA were focussing on whether or not to sack the former Sunderland and Bolton boss, Twitter was enjoying laughing at Allardyce for his choice of drink. Many were joyfully claiming that Big Sam was supping from a pint of wine, although others pooh-poohed the idea, saying it was merely lager. What do you think? (Joe.ie).
9. Due to UEFA rules, Arsenal will be forced to wear their away kit in their Champions League tie against Basel, despite the North London club playing at home. Apparently, because Basel’s away kit is the same colour as the sleeves of Arsenal’s home shirt (white), Basel will play in their red and blue home kit and Arsenal will be forced to play in their yellow and grey strip. All this because Basel don’t have a third kit… (Mirror).
10. And finally…Northampton Town striker Jonathan Hooper came off the bench to set up the Cobblers’ third goal in a 1-3 away win against Swindon Town. Sounds pretty normal, until you hear that he was forced to wear a shirt with no number or name on the back because the club’s staff “forgot” his jersey (Goal).
Leave a Reply