Stubbs sacked by Millers after five months in charge, Fenerbahçe plane in collision with bird forcing emergency landing and Graeme Le Saux’s birthday celebrations are heart warming
1. Rotherham United have parted company with manager Alan Stubbs after just five months. Last night’s defeat at Birmingham left the Millers rooted to the bottom of the Championship table with only one win from their opening 13 games.
2. A plane carrying Fenerbahçe players and officials was forced to make an emergency landing after it collided with a bird whilst flying over Hungary on its way to England for the club’s Europa League game against Manchester United.
3. Chris Sutton believes there has never been a better time for a Premier League footballer to out themselves as gay. Sutton, who now works for the BBC as a pundit, made the comments in response to FA chief Greg Clarke claiming he felt the game ‘wasn’t ready’ for such a situation.
4. After a 3-3 home draw against Bristol Rovers, MK Dons manager Karl Robinson has suggested his players may need to resort to underhanded tactics in order to get results. Outspoken Liverpudlian Robinson said ‘maybe we should cheat a little bit more, honesty in the way we do things isn’t getting its rewards’.
5. Leicester City will not face any disciplinary action in relation to FC Copenhagen fans lighting flares during their Champions League game at the King Power stadium. Sections of Danish club’s supporters set off the prohibited items during a 1-0 win for the home side, courtesy of a Riyad Mahrez goal.
6. Former Chelsea and Barcelona striker Samuel Eto’o is now plying his trade with Turkish club Antalyaspor. They are currently struggling for form at the start of the season, however Eto’o is so confident the team can turn it around he has made a £10,000 bet with a fan that they will finish in the top 10 (GiveMeSport).
7. Igor Akinfeev has set an unwanted Champions League record. The CSKA Moscow keeper has gone 40 games (that’s 10 years!) without keeping a clean sheet in the competition. CSKA were 1-0 up against Monaco until Bernardo Silva struck late to secure a 1-1 draw (ESPNFC).
8. In the name of realism, the makers of computer game Football Manager have included several scenarios based around the potential impact Brexit could have on the game as we know it (BBCTechnology).
9. Jermaine Jenas has told how he received a rather bizarre offer to sign for Manchester United before he left Nottingham Forest and joined Newcastle. Former England international Jenas was the subject of bids from other clubs who valued him at £5m, but Alex Ferguson tabled a bid of £3m with the logic that the prestige of playing for the Old Trafford club was worth more (WhoAteAllThePies).
10. And finally…we think that Graeme Le Saux singing Happy Birthday to himself whilst being presented with a cake shaped like a caterpillar could be the best way any footballer has ever marked the anniversary of their birth (Mirror).
By Chris Horricks (@Chrishorricks31).
Leave a Reply