1. Former Brazil international and World Cup winning captain Carlos Alberto has passed away following a heart attack at the age of 72. Our condolences go to his friends and family.
2. Wigan Athletic have sacked manager Gary Caldwell after 14 games of the Championship season. They were only promoted to the division in the summer but have so far struggled to adapt to the step up, despite Will Grigg being amongst the top goal scorers.
3. Manchester United defender Eric Bailly says he hopes to return to fitness within two months after picking up an injury during his team’s 4-0 Premier League defeat at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.
4. Chelsea manager Antonio Conte claims he was not disrespectful to United players in the direct aftermath of his team’s 4-0 win and that he ‘knows how to act on the pitch’ as a former international player. Conte’s comments could be seen as a jibe at Jose Mourinho who never reached the same heights in his playing career.
5. Wolves have sacked former Italy international goalkeeper Walter Zenga less than three months into the Championship season. Zenga leaves the midlands club languishing in 18th, just four points above the relegation zone. Former England manager Sam Allardyce is amongst the bookies’ favourites to replace Zenga.
6. After Middlesbrough’s game against Arsenal on Sunday, some social media statisticians had claimed that Adama Traore set a new Premier League sprint speed record. However, they have today confirmed that the reports were false (WhoAteAllThePies).
7. Being an Olympic champion can bring you a whole host of fans, as Gold medal winning hockey goalkeeper Maddie Hinch found out when former England manager Fabio Capello asked her for a photo (Twitter).
8. Diet is very important to elite athletes and footballers are no different. It should come as no surprise then that Tottenham’s Victor Wanyama is a big fan of spaghetti, which explains why he looks so delighted in promotional photos for World Pasta Day (ESPNFC).
9. Argentine club Rosario Central left nothing to chance in their attempts to create an intimidating atmosphere ahead of their match with arch rivals, the spectacularly named Newell’s Old Boys. Central even made a giant inflatable fan (TheSun).
10. And finally…yesterday we told you about an MLS player being booked for twerking after having scored a goal. Today, we can go one better. A South African player for Baroka FC was shown a yellow card for showboating during their weekend game (Mirror).
By Chris Horricks (@chrishorricks31).