Barnet boss to miss match due to heart operation, Southgate wants decision over his England future and Uruguayan journeyman completes record breaking 28th career transfer
1. Barnet manager Martin Allen will miss his team’s match against Crewe Alexandra while he undergoes a heart operation. Former Brentford manager Allen, affectionately known as ‘mad dog’, says he has ‘tight arteries which need clearing’. We wish him the best of luck and hope the operation is a success.
2. Gareth Southgate says he would like the FA to make a decision about his future as England manager within a month. Tuesday’s friendly against Spain is set to be is last as interim manager and the former Middlesbrough coach says ‘it is important for me to know what I’m doing after the middle of November’. If he isn’t chosen as Sam Allardyce’s successor, Southgate would have to plan for the under-21s’ European Championship qualifiers.
3. Meanwhile, Jordan Henderson will replace Wayne Rooney as England captain for the friendly against Spain at Wembley on Tuesday after it was revealed the Manchester United striker missed Monday’s training session with a minor injury.
4. Former Chelsea and England midfielder Frank Lampard has announced he is to leave MLS club New York City after playing 31 games and scoring 15 goals for the newly formed team over the past two years, during which time he also spent a loan spell at Manchester City.
5. Representatives of League Two side Notts County are believed to be in talks with the owners of American baseball club the New York Yankees about a possible takeover of the oldest professional club in Britain.
6. There are one club men, there are journeymen and then there’s Uruguayan international Sebastian Abreu who has landed himself in the Guinness Book of Records after completing the 28th transfer of his long and illustrious career (DailyMail).
7. Delve deep into your imagination. Try to think of the most ridiculous reason anyone could be sent off in an international football match. Whatever you came up with, it still won’t be as insane as former Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko being sent off during Bosnia’s World Cup qualifier for pulling an opponent’s shorts down (Telegraph).
8. After World Champions Germany comprehensively saw off San Marino 8-0, Thomas Muller commented that he ‘didn’t see the point of such uneven contests’. This lead San Marino officials to hit back with a list of bullet points in their defence, including ‘football doesn’t belong to you’ (BleacherReport).
9. Bedale AFC have singed what could be the best sponsorship deal of the modern era. Their link-up with a local sausage producing company will see them play in sausage coloured shirts with the word HECK (the company’s name) on their chests (WhoAteAllThePies).
10. And finally…Cristiano Ronaldo could face a fine for wearing Nike branded glasses at the press conference to mark the signing of his new contract (Mirror).
By Chris Horricks (@Chrishorricks31).
Leave a Reply